Ring and Pinion Break In
How to Install a New Ring and Pinion
A new ring and pinion installation, especially a high numeric ratio with new bearings, can cause an excessive heat buildup in the rear end and cause softening of the gear teeth and bearings if a break in is not performed. Street vehicles should be driven at normal street driving speed for approximately 10 miles, then stop and let cool for 30 minutes. Do this 2 to 3 times. Towing vehicles need approximately 200-300 miles of normal street driving before being used for towing.
On circle track race cars make approximately 6 to 8 laps at slow speed, then let cool for 30 minutes. Make 6 to 8 more laps at slow speed, then 2 to 3 laps at full speed, the let cool again for 30 minutes. Drag cars need onlyan initial run-in since they are driven short distances and heat is not normally a problem with proper lube andbacklash allowance.
Click to Get Started!
Submitted by A&A Webmaster: February 20, 2015
- TTX is Changing the game
- We Just Updated The Mevotech Company Page
- We have XtremeStop Brake Pads And Rotors
- We Now Carry Dorman HD Solutions
- Street Dreams Car Show 2016
- Count's Kustoms in Hamilton
- RARE Rogers Auto Racing Enterprises
- NEW: Wagner OEX Brake Pads
- CarbonMax Rotors by ProMax
- Quick-Latch products